What a year it’s been!
We are in awe of how thoughtfully and bravely the Civic Spirit Educators have launched civic education programs in their schools, seeking to enhance civic sensibility and a culture of responsibility.
Here is a quick review of the schools’ accomplishments. We are eager to begin Year 2 in our Civic Lab pilot, and to continue the journey.
- 14 schools joined Civic Spirit’s 1st Cohort.
- 26 Civic Spirit Educators and School Heads completed a week-long Summer Institute co-hosted by Civic Spirit and the Jack Miller Center.
- Institute training included workshops with Facing History, Generation Citizen, and the OpenMind Platform.
- 14 schools launched new Civic Spirit courses and modules.
- 13 schools organized student-led Election Day activities, assemblies, and clubs.
- 18 educators completed civil discourse training with Essential Partners.
- All teachers cite the civic discourse training as immediately invaluable to their classroom discussions.
- 5 schools launched political debate programs.
- 150+ students participated in Civic Spirit Day on May 1st.
- 13 schools will join for Summer Institute 2019; together they will write a set of civic education “Shared Aims” with guidance from Knead Partners.
- 5,000+ students have been impacted by Civic Spirit educators & staff.
- Recruitment for Cohort 2 is underway…stay tuned.