We are seeking an experienced, attentive, committed Education & Pedagogy Coach (part-time) to join our small, but formidable team on the front line of transformative civic education.
We are looking to hire and onboard this person ASAP!
BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION
The Education and Pedagogy Coach will be responsible for two fundamental functions:
(1) Pedagogical coach and partner in curriculum and lesson plan design for teachers at schools rooted in faith traditions. This includes Jewish, Catholic, Christian, and Muslim middle and high schools who serve students from a diverse economic, ethnic, racial, and political network.
(2) Program coordinator managing design, implementation, and logistics for our student programs, while our Director of Education is on a 3-month maternity leave.
IDEAL CANDIDATE: An experienced educator who uses their knowledge of pedagogy and experiences in the classroom to support fellow teachers in actualizing their civic education goals.
We are specifically seeking to hire someone who is comfortable working with the diverse network of schools and communities that we serve.
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COMPENSATION: $35-42/hour; 15-20 hours/week
- New York-based (remote until safe to be in-person)
- Minimum 2 years of teaching experience in civics, government, or U.S. history.
- Experience working with communities of color & students from varied economic backgrounds.
- Possess a strong knowledge base of the current best practices & trends in high school education.
- Has a toolbox of instructional practices to support educators in their pedagogy and curriculum.
- Sense of humor and enthusiasm for a growing and thriving entrepreneurial environment.
- Work effectively both within a team and on solitary tasks.
- High level of interpersonal skills to:
*Establish trust and credibility with educators
*Establish and maintain successful cooperative working relationships with school communities
*Navigate difficult political or religious conversations
*Tailor to the varying needs of individual educators
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and answer the following question:
What excites you about teaching civic education today?
Civic Spirit partners with educators and schools from faith traditions in designing curriculum, fostering learning opportunities and bridge-building across difference, and creating meaningful experiences that prepare the next generation of students to be knowledgeable, ethical, and beholden participants in the political life of our democracy.
In addition to providing high-caliber professional development and offering civic design challenges for students to practice problem-solving with peers from diverse backgrounds, we work one-on-one with teachers offering pedagogical coaching that unites excellent resources with the needs, culture, and existing assets of each unique school and student population.